Heart-Healthy Recipe: Low-Sodium Herb-Rubbed Turkey
The holidays will be upon us before we know it. To assist you in following heart failure and cardiac diets during the holidays, we've provided a tasty Roasted Turkey recipe. Please enjoy this dish with family and friends!
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 Tbsp. plus 2 teaspoons rubbed sage
- 1 Tbsp. minced fresh thyme or 1 tsp. dried thyme
- 2 tsp. pepper
- 1/2 tsp. each ground allspice, ginger and mustard
- 1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper
- 1 Tbsp. all-purpose flour
- 1 turkey-size oven roasting bag
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 2 small carrots, chopped
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 small potato, sliced
- 1 turkey (14 pounds)
- 1 Tbsp. cornstarch
- 2 Tbsp. cold water
4 ounces cooked turkey (calculated without skin):
- 198 calories
- 6g fat (2g saturated fat)
- 86mg cholesterol
- 80mg sodium
- 1g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 0 fiber)
- 33g protein.
- Diabetic Exchanges: 4 lean meat.
- Preheat oven to 350˚. In a small bowl, mix garlic, herbs, and spices until blended. Sprinkle flour into oven bag; shake to coat. Place bag in a roasting pan; add vegetables and sprinkle with 5 teaspoons herb mixture.
- Pat turkey dry. With fingers, carefully loosen skin from turkey breast; rub half of the remaining herb mixture under the skin. Secure skin to underside of the breast with toothpicks. Rub remaining herb mixture over inside of the turkey. Tuck wings under turkey; tie drumsticks together.
- Place turkey in a bag over vegetables, breast side up; close bag with nylon tie. Cut six 1/2-inch slits in top of bag; close with tie provided. Bake 2 to 2 1/2 hours or until a thermometer inserted in the thickest part of the thigh reads 170-175˚.
- Remove turkey from oven bag to a serving platter; tent with foil. Let stand 20 minutes before carving. Strain contents of oven bag into a small saucepan, discarding vegetables; skim fat from cooking juices. In a small bowl, mix cornstarch and water until smooth; gradually whisk into cooking juices. Bring to a boil; cook and stir 2 minutes of until thickened. Serve with turkey.
Prep: 30 min.
Bake: 2 hours + standing
YIELD: 28 servings
Recipe courtesy of Taste of Home
Other Heart-Healthy recipes
About the Northeast Georgia Medical Center Advanced Heart Failure Program
For patients with heart failure, life can be challenging. At Northeast Georgia Medical Center, we help patients manage their heart health and lead fulfilling lives--even for those with advanced stages of the disease.
Learn more about Northeast Georgia Medical Center's Advanced Heart Failure Services.